Greenwillows Associates Ltd
Professional Ecological Services
Greenwillows Associates Ltd is recruiting!
Greenwillows Associates is a family-run ecological consultancy based in Cambridgeshire, Specialising in Phase One Habitat Surveys, and provides a full suite of protected species surveys and mitigation including preparation of management plans, ECIAs, European and British Protected Species Licences and Ecological Clerk of Works Services, Greenwillows Associates Ltd is recruiting for an experienced Ecologist to work for us. This is a part-time position with negotiable hours and opportunity for flexible working.
The role of Ecologist is a responsible position within the company directly reportable to the Principal Ecologist and Directors of the Company.
The role will require attendance at sites and meetings with clients across the UK, with the focus being on the East of England, the Midlands, Essex, Lincolnshire and the South East. Overnight stays away from home may be required as part of the role.
To apply for this position, candidates must be able to live and work in the UK without visa restrictions. For more information please contact Mary Parnwell on 07719 020 858.
Main Duties and Activities:
- Delivery of high quality ecological consultancy services on time and within budget.
- Site visits across the UK to undertake ecological surveys as required.
- Working outside of normal office hours on a regular basis – especially during the bat, reptile and great crested newt survey seasons.
- Ecological report writing (including Phase 1 Habitat mapping) to a high, professional standard.
- Leading and undertaking a wide range of species and habitat surveys to current industry guidance and best practice.
- Undertaking the design and management of preliminary ecological appraisals and ecological surveys from inception through to completion.
- Provide supervision (where required) of field workers and/or junior/trainee ecologists.
- Assistance in the preparation and submission of basic fee proposals.
- Liaising with clients, professional advisors, LPAs, contractors and general public, representing the company in a highly professional manner at all times.
- Acting as job manager on basic projects for quality assurance purposes as determined by the Principal Ecologist.
- Any other duties consistent with the job description that may be required from time to time.
- Understand and meet health and safety requirements, preparation of RAMS and take responsibility for safe working practices including resourcing to minimise lone working.
- Undertaking the role of Ecological Clerk of Works.
Essential Qualifications/Experience Required:
- A full current driver’s licence valid in the UK.
- Degree or post-graduate degree (or equivalent) in an ecology or related field.
- At least 4 years relevant experience.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal including confident and personable telephone manner.
- Good interpersonal skills to allow effective liaison with planners, developers, professional advisors, contractors, landowners, the general public and others
- Good field skills and a sound base in flora/fauna ID skills.
- Protected species licence holder, at least Level 2 Bat Licence and great crested newt or evidence of signifcant progress towards obtaining such.
- Experience of preparing successful mitigation licences (in relation to bats and/or great crested newts, ideally as named ecologist or suitably qualified to do so for future applications).
- A sound knowledge of relevant ecology legislation.
- A thorough grounding in best practice survey techniques.
- Experience of managing small to medium-scale projects from submission of quotes to client liaison and delivery of ecological services.
- Desire and commitment to keeping up to date with best practice guidelines.
- Full membership of CIEEM or be eligible for full membership.
- Exceptional organisational, project management and report writing skills.
- A competent working knowledge of MS Office.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and prioritise work.
- Ability to produce high quality habitat maps using mapping software such as QGIS, Auto CAD etc.
- Clean criminal record as confirmed by DBS check.
- Experience in writing technical proposals, reports and ES chapters.
- Experience in applying for badger sett closure licences ideally as named Ecologist or suitably qualified to do so for future applications.
- Holder of CSCS card.
- Holder of Emergency First Aid at work qualification.
- Knowledge of QGIS/Auto CAD.
- Experience of undertaking bat call analysis and identifying bat sonograms.
- Proven experience of acting as Ecological Clerk of Works.
- The ability to form and maintain professional working relationships with the team, other employees and clients is essential.
- CPD courses and being responsible for your own personal development are important in maintaining a high level of professional knowledge and awareness of the current issues affecting the ecology of the UK.
- Attending meetings at designated sites, when requested by senior staff.
- Staff have use of pool vehicles to attend site surveys but may also be required to use their own vehicle to attend site.
Salary and Pension
Benefits of working with Greenwillows Associates
- Friendly, relaxed company with rural offices in Fenland countryside.
- Competitive salary.
- Training budget for professional development.
- Employee welfare programme.